This is a wonderfully rich and decadent-tasting cake. I find that most vegan cakes I make tend to be very moist… this one is no exception! In this instance, the wonderful gooeyness is thanks to the wonderful Stout in the cake.
This beer is another gem from our friend, the ‘Inn at Home’ (independent craft beer & wine shop in Newbury). Arbor Breakfast Stout comes from a family-owned and run microbrewery based fairly locally, in Bristol. The coffee and chocolate notes in this stout work perfectly in this sexy little loaf… try it and see for yourself! Perfect for a ‘grown up’ occasion… where alcohol and chocolate will win over the crowd!
• 180g plain flour
• 227g raw cane sugar
• ½ teaspoon Maldon salt
• 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
• 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
• 65g coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly (plus extra for greasing loaf tin)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 250ml stout (check it’s vegan.. if you ARE vegan)
• 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar